In a shipping application I wouldn't want to turn off FATAL messages.  For
"tracefile" Categories during development it might be conceivable to
isolate certain Categories by turning others off.  The notion of an on off
switch for categories is appealing.  I'm not sure to be honest.  Why will
log4j offer an OFF priority in version 1.2?  Because boneheads like me want
an off switch? : - )

-Craig

                    Ceki Gülcü

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         To:     "LOG4J Users Mailing List"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                         cc:     (bcc: Craig Reichenbach/CAM/Lotus)

                    07/30/2001           Subject:     Re: disabling categories (was:
channels in Log4j)
                    04:33 PM

                    Please respond

                    to "LOG4J

                    Users Mailing

                    List"

As you have mentioned in your initial message you can turn off logging for
a *specific* category for all priorities lower than FATAL. You can turn off
logging entirely for a whole hierarchy by calling the hiearchy.disableAll
method.

You seem to want to turn off logging for a given category for FATAL
messages as well. Why would you want to turn off logging for fatal
messages?

In any case, an OFF priority will be available in log4j version 1.2. It is
already in our CVS rep. Regards, Ceki

At 16:15 30.07.2001 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm wondering if the answer is extending Priority to accomodate
>Priority.OFF?
>

>                    "Sam Newman"

>                    <sam.newman@stam       To:     "LOG4J Users Mailing
List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>                    plets.com>             cc:     (bcc: Craig
Reichenbach/CAM/Lotus)

--
Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch