Thanks for the help folks this did the trick.  I had log4j.jar in my TomCat
path.  But another question,  If I have many web apps, and they all want to use
log4j I have to include the log4j.jar file in each of these packages.  Isnt
this a waste of space, and an upgrade problem in the case when a new log4j.jar
library becomes available - I have to repackage each to the web apps again with
the new log4j.jar file.  Is there any way around this?

Cheers

Tony