I just got the latest from CVS and it says it doesn't recognize the %X char
on the PatternLayout..

I've tried %x{username} and that doesn't do anything but print out
{username}
I've also tried %X{username} and that gives an error saying unexpected char

Timothy G. Mullé
Senior Software Architect
Reuters Valley Forge Solutions Center
1000 Madison Avenue
Norristown, PA 19403-2432

Phone: (610) 650-8600 x8340
Fax:      (610) 650-8170

                    tmulle@moneyn

                    et.com               To:     "LOG4J Users Mailing List"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                         cc:

                    08/06/2001           Subject:     RE: Idea on how to make Log4J
more expandable during runtime.
                    04:13 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "LOG4J Users

                    Mailing List"

Semmantini,

     That's exactly what've I've done already..I've extending Category and
added methods like debug(Object message, Map extra) and then build my
custom LogEvent
object with those fields. In my LogEvent extension I have methods like
getXXX() and setXXX() so I can easily set them without having a huge
constructor. I've also extended PatternParser  and PatternLayout to read
these new fields.

I was merely pointing out that I thought all this customization was
unnecessary and suggested a new approach to the Log4J architecture to
possibly eliminate all of the overhead of creating classes when a new
field(s) added.

It would appear now with the MDC I may be able to do what I want after all.
Although, I think my approach may still yield a smaller, cleaner codebase
since there would be no need for each custom PatternParser instance for
each field, it may appear that mine is too invasive to this or next release
of Log4J.

- Tim

Timothy G. Mullé
Senior Software Architect
Reuters Valley Forge Solutions Center
1000 Madison Avenue
Norristown, PA 19403-2432

Phone: (610) 650-8600 x8340
Fax:      (610) 650-8170

                    Seemantini Godbole
                    <SEEMANTINI.GODBOLE@get        To:     "'LOG4J Users
Mailing List'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    there.com>                     cc:
                                                   Subject:     RE: Idea on
how to make Log4J more expandable during runtime.
                    08/06/2001 04:04 PM
                    Please respond to
                    "LOG4J Users Mailing
                    List"

Just one more thing,

I had seen that the cat.debug, info etc... all functions take an Object and
not necessarily only a String. I took advantage of that.

I have a calss extended from Category...say MyCategory. It has methods such
as Performance, Transaction. You can pass your own objects to these
methods.
In my case there is object which has a message, starttime and endtime. Then
when you create a logging event you can supply a String message and any
other params such as starttime etc.