I've looked at that and what I'm after is I want to send a custom object
down the wire and then pick it apart on the server. But, I don't want to
change ANY of the logging api on the client side.

Example:

     // Get the log category
     Category cat = Category.getInstance("log");

     // Create a custom object
     CustomObject obj = new CustomObject();

     / /Send to remote log server by using the SocketAppender
     cat.debug(obj);

     // Then on the remote server
     CustomObject obj = (CustomObject)LoggingEvent.getMessage();

     obj.add("new field");

     Category c = Category.getInstance(LoggingEvent.category.getName());
     c.callAppenders(LoggingEvent);

Timothy G. Mullé
Senior Software Architect
Reuters Valley Forge Solutions Center
1000 Madison Avenue
Norristown, PA 19403-2432

Phone: (610) 650-8600 x8340
Fax:      (610) 650-8170

                    Seemantini Godbole

                    <SEEMANTINI.GODBOLE@get        To:     "'LOG4J Users Mailing
List'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    there.com>                     cc:

                                                   Subject:     RE: Why isn't message
serializable in LoggingEvent?
                    08/08/2001 11:46 AM

                    Please respond to

                    "LOG4J Users Mailing

                    List"

Tim,

Look at SocketAppender, in case you want to send to remote server, you want
to send the entire LoggingEvent and not just message. It is very
interesting...take a look..also at SocketServer and SocketNode

ths,
Seemantini