JavaMail is just an API to send mail using the SMTP protocol.

sendmail is a program able to accept mail through SMTP connections, and route
it appropriately.

Because the mail transport is layered behind SMTP, javamail does not have to
know what MTA (Mail Transport Agent) is accepting the SMTP connection.

The SMTPAppender uses javamail, and only has to know some information
regarding which server to send the mail to, to what email address, and so.

To figure out how to use the SMTPAppender, take a look at the javadoc.

Nicolas