From: Ylan Segal [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 11:52 AM
To: LOG4J Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: Looking for opinions...

> I am working on a project that requires logging for two purposes:
> 1.  logging system level errors, warnings, etc.. (WARN, ERROR, DEBUG)
> 2.  logging application specific events.  (User X did this)
>
> Will the best approach be to use WARN, DEBUG, ERROR for the system level
> events and use INFO for the application specific event, or is there a
> way to use the packaged Category class for system level events and use a
> new subclass of Category to handle application specific events.

 I thinks the category approach would be the best one. You can have:
System.some.category -- >for all system stuff and
Activities.some.categories --> for user activities and such.

The priorities you can still use, since both System stuff and user
activities can be looged with different levels.

Hope it helps,

Ylan.