My basic question is whether there's any Filter-like capability that can be configured
at the Category level rather than at the Appender level? The reason why I prefer it
there is that I'd like to avoid the overhead of constructing the LoggingEvent if it's
just going to get rejected by the Appender's filter.

Some more detail. We want to maintain distinct log files for the servlet container and
the EJB container running inside a single JVM (WebLogic). We can set the NDC when any
web request comes in, modify it when control moves to the EJB container, and reset it
when returning to the servlet container. I can use the info in the NDC in an
Appender-based Filter to discard log events targeted to the wrong appender. Looking at
the code, it seems to me that an equivalent filtering mechanism at the Category level
which occurred before (or after ???) the priority checking would allow me to do what I
want without having to incur the overhead of creating a LoggingEvent object and
accessing the set of Appenders.

I realize that I could derive my own Category / CatgegoryFactory and get the
functionality that way. However, that's a more programmatic solution at the
application level, while the Filtering capability is more declarative. Additionally,
that could result in us having to change existing application code, something we'd
love to avoid doing.

If the functionality isn't currently there, and I suspect it's not, might I suggest
this as an enhancement for the appropriate time in the future?

Thanks,

Donnie