Chris,

My view on the question is as follows:

Log4j configuration is the responsibility of the end-user or
generally the application deployer. Whenever possible, a library
should not try to configure logging but leave it to the
deployer. After all, logging output is useful only if someone will
take the time to look at it. If the end-user wishes to log then
she should control the logging configuration. Nevertheless, it is
very helpful if the library developer provides documentation on
logging preferably with working examples.

Is this in any way convincing? Regards, Ceki