A few thoughts:
1) I wouldn't go with the NDC/MDC.  The thread information is already passed
along to the appender.
2) The custom appender -- check the thread in the same way PatternLayout does.
3) Wrap the Logger class and check the thread before forwarding the logging
calls.  This could help performance as the thread is checked early in the method
call chain rather than later.

Kevin