How do I set the log4j.debug=true in my XML config file?  What's the correct
tag, etc.?

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Womack [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 3:48 PM
To: 'Log4J Users List'
Subject: RE: Turning of conf file watching

Yes, I think you are creating 10 Watchdog threads, all watching the same or
different files, depending on what you pass in as the file to watch.  If
they are all watching the same file you won't see any strange behavior on
the surface because they will set up the same configuration each time.  But
your code will be doing a lot of extra reconfiguration that it doesn't need
to do.  You should turn on log4j debugging (-Dlog4j.debug=true) to watch
what is going on.  Maybe I am wrong on this.  If the files are different,
the most recently specified/modified file will set the current
configuration.

Here is the relavant code from PropertyConfigurator.java,
DOMConfigurator.java has something similar:

  static
  public
  void configureAndWatch(String configFilename, long delay) {
    PropertyWatchdog pdog = new PropertyWatchdog(configFilename);
    pdog.setDelay(delay);
    pdog.start();
  }

As you can see, it creates a new instance of FileWatchdog and starts it.
There is no provision to stop previously created watchdogs or to even keep
track of them for later termination.  I believe the FileWatchdog and
Watchdog classes do not have code to track/terminate the instances either.

I would write your code to better control when configureAndWatch() is called
or write your own code to implement the behavior you want.  The Watchdog
code is not very complicated, and you could create your own version.
Depending on your specific needs, my new proposed version may be what you
need.  If not, I'd like to know so I could possibly work it into the
implementation.

-Mark