We use the init() method of our servlets to do the
PropertyConfigurator.configure() or the constructor of our beans.
 Incidentally, we've had fewer problems finding the properties file when
we use PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch( "someFileName.properties"
).  Don't know why.  In our regular objects (i.e. not servlets or
EJB's), we do this in the constructors.

Hope this helps.

Bobby