Sure.  The SMTP Appender does the job.  You'll need an SMTP server to send
the messages through.
A few gotcha's that I learned while implementing:
        It only sends email for "ERROR" or higher (I'm sure you can
modify, but this worked great for my needs)
        It doesn't work within IBM's VAJ IDE.  You need to export the .jar
and run.
Here is an example SMTP for your config file:
        # SMTP appender
        log4j.appender.SMTPTest=org.apache.log4j.net.SMTPAppender
        log4j.appender.SMTPTest.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
        log4j.appender.SMTPTest.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %-5p [%t] -
%m%n
        log4j.appender.SMTPTest.To=[insert email address]
        log4j.appender.SMTPTest.SMTPHost=[insert SMTP server name]
        log4j.appender.SMTPTest.Subject=[email subject]
        log4j.appender.SMTPTest.From=[return address]
        log4j.appender.SMTPTest.BufferSize=1(if you have other logging
going on, this picks up the last x number of messages)

"Janusz Dalecki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
03/24/2002 11:51 PM
Please respond to "Log4J Users List"