hmmm....seems that what I'm doing isn't really taking effect.

If I start with the socket appender getting started at startup:
   I check and it's there
   I remove it
   I check and it's gone
   I do something that requires logging
        it gets to Lumbermill
   I check and the socket appender is back!

If I start with out the socket appender:
   I check and it's not there
   I add it
   I check and it's there
   I do something that requires logging
       it doesn't get to Lumbermill
   I check and the socket appender isn't there anymore!

Any idea what's going on?  Do I have to save the Logger or something like
that?  Should I not be changing the logger, but something else?

I also tried adding the appender to the logger with BasicConfigurator, but
that didn't work either.

Thanks in advance,
   Jesse