Greg, sorry you did not get a response earlier.

Personally I use the priority setting almost exclusively.  I set the root
priority to "warn".  This stops almost all of the trace messages before they
get logged except the ones that I probably really care about (warn, error,
fatal).  Then I set the priority of individual loggers to the level I am
interested in, say "debug" or "info".  Doing it this way is primarily for
development type activity, and is probably most useful when used in
conjunction with the configureAndWatch() method on the configurators.  You
can update the configuration source (ie config file) to what you want the
settings to be and they get applied without needing to take down the running
environment.  Also, using a tool like Chainsaw to view trace messages
remotely has been extremely useful.

I have not had a need to use the appender threshold setting or the
LevelRangeFilter in my development environment, but I can see why such tools
would be useful in a deployed production environment where you want more
control over where trace messages go.  But, if you set the threshold/filter
stuff, it is useful to remember that time will be spent processing the trace
message to send it to the right place (all attached appenders and filters
get a crack at the message).  Where if you set the logger priority and check
that priority before logging the message, virtually no time will be spent on
the message since it will never be logged in the first place.

hope it helps,
-Mark