From: Mark Womack [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 9:23 AM
To: 'Log4J Users List'
Subject: RE: StaticHierarchy class?

Scott,

You can use a profiler tool to get a picture of what the memory usage is for
log4j related objects.  Something like OptimizeIt will do the trick if you
have it, or even the built-in profiler.

I have to echo Yoav and Ceki on this.  I looked at this in our servlet
container, and compared to everything else that is created, the log4j
objects are miniscule.  That may not be true in all environments as I
imagine that in an embedded system environment any and all memory usage
would be suspect (you aren't doing an embedded system are you?).  But once
most of your system is up and initialized, the percentage given to log4j
objects is very low, as you will see in the profiler data.

I think it also useful to point out that once you have most of your system
up, the log4j objects will not greatly contribute to forcing/incurring
garbage collections (another performance concern related to memory) as
almost all the logger objects will have already been created and static in
memory.  String creation for logged messages will create memory, but any
system you choose will most likely incur this as well.

-Mark