At 16:42 18.07.2002 -0500, Jacob Kjome wrote:

>One update.  I got an email from another user who said to explicitly
>cast to a Logger because "Logger.getInstance() returns a Category for
>backwards compatibility,
>so you need to cast."

The above sentence although formally correct can be misread. To avoid
confusion, let me insist that log4j 1.2 ALWAYS produces Logger
instances. It is actually quite impossible to force log4j to produce
Category instances which are not of type Logger.

The signatures of the Logger.getInstance() or Category.getInstance()
methods specify that they return a Category object. But in reality
they actually return a Logger object. (Logger extends Category
implying that a Logger *is* a Category. The cast to Logger you mention
would not work otherwise.)

--
Ceki