Please see this link as a start.  Let me know if it does not answer your
question(s).

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?Log4JProjectPages/Log4JXmlForma

It is not complete yet, but it does have a pretty good section on appenders.
You will need to review the javadoc for the appender class you want to use
and then use the setter property methods via the param element in the xml.

-Mark