Hi Sumedha,

Just to paraphrase:
You're trying to start completely separate JVMs, using
the same log4j config file, but you want to have log
output for each of the separate JVMs go to a different
file?  Is that right?

I think one way to do this might be with variable
substitution.  I've never used it before, but
apparently the log4j configuration functionality
understands variable substition for Java system
properties.

So define the location of log file as a variable, then
set that variable to the location to log to based on
which JVM you're starting.  You could have batch files
or sheel scripts for starting you're separate JVMs
(you probably alread do :)

Should be easy; but like I said, I've never used the
variable stuff before - I just remember reading
something about it on the mailing list ages ago.
(Just looked it up - the syntax is provided in the
PropertyConfigurator javadoc)

Cheers,
Shorn.

 --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: > Hi,

>   I as wondering if we can define some properties in
> one file and read some
> from other file.
> We have 4 servers that we configure through log4j,
> we have same Level,
> Pattern layout for
> but different output files. So, my question is can
> we define level and
> layout in one common file
> and then read output file name separately?
>
> Thanks so much.
>
> Regards,
> Sumedha

- Exchange IMs with Messenger friends on your Telstra or Vodafone mobile phone.