My logging system(on log4j-1.13)  has some extensions based on the idea
of application server category extension in log4j-1.13 to insert
informations outside log4j to logs.  In log4j-1.2x, however, extending
Category/Logger is not recommended and it seems extensions should go to
LoggingEvent/PatternLayout/PatternParser.

One problem rises here: If one extend LoggingEvent without extending
Category/Logger, there is no way to use this extended LoggingEvent
class in the system, because the only entry to log4j with LoggingEvent
exposed is Category#forcedLog(). I haven't found a way to specify a
extended LoggingEvent class in the configuration files, neither xml or
properties.  Of course I can hack PatternParser to insert those
external information but I think it logically incorrect(some
information should be part of a logging event) and not scalable too.

I find LoggingEvent(in log4j-1.28) still uses  Category and Priority in
it's constructor instead of Logger and Level, which force my extension
to use those two deprecated class also.

Does the above understanding is correct?

I used log4j from it's 0.9x versions and still hope to use it as the
backbone of my logging implementation in the future. Any ideas and
suggestions about log4j extensions are welcome.

Jin