wleana wrote:
You are right, I don't have the directory in the ANT's class path, but nevertheless, ANT can find those classes under it...I have two things that need to be clarified -

If I am not mistaken, does not Ant inherit your $CLASSPATH environment variable as the Ant property named "java.class.path"? So it /might/ have been in Ant's classpath without you having known about it, but I haven't seen your ant script so I'm not sure.

1. You said you need to specify log4j.configuration..But I didn't have to specify it, and it works fine...how come?

If you don't specify a System property named "log4j.configuration", then by default Log4J initializes its "resource" variable to the string "log4j.properties". Log4J then creates a URL from this string and attempts to resolve it, and uses the file at that URL as the configuration file. If it cannot create a URL from it, then Log4J searches through the current class loader's class path for a file with that name. Perhaps it was somehow finding your log4j.properties file -- try renaming it to something else and see if it still works.

2. Is there a way to specify a default configuration programmatically (ie. in the code, specify the Appender, Layout, etc...) and make it picked-up if the log4j.properties is not found? Since i don't even explicitly call PropertyConfigurator.configure in my code, how can this kind of fall-back logic be implemented?

Well, you could always put that programmatic configuration inside of an if-block which checks to see if "log4j.configuration" system property is set... but this sounds an awful lot like what Log4J does by default.