On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 11:48, Rishikesh Tembe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a servlet running in Tomcat, which I have setup to do logging via
> log4j. However, I get the foll. error when I try to run my app:
>
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category
>
> I have the jog4j-1.2.8.jar file in my classpath.

Yes, it might be in your classpath, but is Tomcat using that classpath?
NoClassDefFoundError definately means the CLassloader cannot locate the
class via any means.

Try dropping the log4j Jar file in your webapps WEB-INF/lib directory.
You can also save yourself the effort of property configuration code by
putting the log4j.properties file physically in the WEB-INF/classes
directory of your webapp, Log4j will then find it auto-magically.

cheers,

Paul Smith