> It did work a treat! thanks...
>
> That gave me better insight into log4j. Basically, we can
> - configure it programatically through the API
> - OR use the props file
> Right?

Yes, although the property/xml files are the way to go.  Just Log stuff
in your Java code, and don't worry about where it's going.  Then, later
on, you can put on your "Where should my log statements go" hat  and
deal with what should be appended where/when in the configuration file.
This separation makes Logging nice and clean.

cheers,

Paul Smith