To Log4J Team:

I would like to recommend an enhancement to the Log4J toolkit.  There are
applications in which it is desirable to put a ceiling on the number of
times any given message is reported.  Parsers are an excellent example, in
which warnings of the type "Token XXXXXX not found in record" really only
need to be reported once and not (possibly) thousands of times in a file
that obviously doesn't contain that token.  I envision the configuration
file allowing one to set the Logger with a property of MAX_REPORTS which
allows one to place this ceiling on the number of times a message is passed
to the Appender object.  I recognize that this would slightly hurt the
performance as a comparison to a private integer variable would have to be
made.

Just a suggestion.  Thanx for listening.

-Regards,
 Steve Widom

Steve Widom
Advanced Technology Group Manager