Hello all,

I hope this is not too much of a newbie question. I did look through the documentation and on the internet, but I might have not done it the right way.

Anyway, here is the problem:
I'm using log4j 1.2.8 in several webapps, for each it is inside a class used by several JSPs.

The application server is Tomcat 4.1.27, running on Windows 2000 SP4 behind an Apache 2.0.47 server on the same machine.

The JDK is 1.4.2 (not quite the last one, but close enough).

The log4j1.2.8.jar file is in each webapp/WEB-INF/lib.
Each webapp has its own config file in webapp/WEB-INF/classes.
Each config file contains:

log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG
log4j.logger.dev=DEBUG, dev

log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p %c - %m%n

log4j.appender.dev=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.dev.File=C:/logs/dev_01.log
log4j.appender.dev.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.dev.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %X{RemoteHost} %C %-5p %c - %m%n
log4j.appender.dev.MaxFileSize=1000KB
log4j.appender.dev.MaxBackupIndex=100

Where "dev_01.log" is different for each webapp.

It mostly works, ie, the "dev_01.log" file is always there. However, the re are regularly "holes" in the backup of the file. I saw it happens, when the current log file must be turned over, instead, it simply disappears. The existing backup files are turned over, though.
When such a hole in the backups appears, it tends to stay there for a while, but it eventually disappears.
That way, I can get such a list of files as:
.log
.log.10
.log.11
.log.12
.log.13
.log.14
.log.15
.log.16
.log.17
.log.18
.log.19
.log.20
.log.49
.log.50
.log.51
.log.52
.log.53

I simply don't have any idea about what is going on. I spend a lot of time in Tomcat's logs, for developping, and they don't have that problem, but they're rotated on a daily basis. I didn't see anything in those logs about what might be going on.
Actually, once I tried to get also a daily rotation for the log4j logs, but the problem got only worse, so I gave up (it was a while ago).

Anybody has an idea?
Many thanks in advance!

Laurent