Hi Ceki,
Thanks for your responses. Your cynical thought was correct. I had it fact configured my wrapper incorrectly. However I have learned a good bit more from tracing through log4j's source code today so I suppose its not all bad :)

Tom

From: Ceki Gülcü <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Log4J Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unexpected logger ancestor
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:44:47 +0100

At 06:06 PM 12/10/2003 +0000, tom ONeill wrote:
No, absolutely not.

X.Z and Y.Z should bear no relation to each other except their common ancestor the 'root' logger.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks for your help Ceki....

So you are saying that my "Y.Z" logger should not be created as "X.Y.Z" just because I already have a logger "X.Z"?. Therefore what I am seeing is some kind of error and not the expected behaviour? If I know it is an error I can now go and try find what is causing the problem.

I confirm. It is an error.

My configuration is pretty straightforward so I doubt thats the issue. However I am using my own logger implementation (it extends Logger) so maybe somthing in there is causing the problem. Perhaps I have overridden one of Loggers methods incorrectly......

Hmm, maybe the problem is in your wrapper. Just a cynical thought...

-- Ceki Gülcü