> Hi,
> You know, though, I would argue that in the absence of any
> configuration
> all logging statements should be output to the console.  So
> in a sense,
> I'd like to have BasicConfigurator.configure called
> automatically on the
> first logging statement if no other configuration has been done.  Then
> you'd get the current warning that log4j hasn't been configured, and
> from that point on all output at DEBUG level to the console.  The
> principle that a logging system should never hide/reject logging
> statements unless explicitly configured to do so is very strong.  It
> trumps everything else a logging system should do, pretty much,
> including good performance.

I totally agree, when Log4j can detect that nothing has configured it on the
first log call, then the fail-safe method would be to log everything to the
console.  Verbose or not, at least you know what's happening in your
application, and in some was the verbosity will make you want to work out
how to correctly configure it...

What would be nice is to have the warning message about "no appenders
configured" should contain a URL to point to a web page with more
information about what this statement means, so that those not familiar with
it (and perhaps log4j) have a point of reference .

cheers,

Paul Smith