It's a bug I am current working on. The recent changes in the Appender interface relate to this problem.

At 09:20 PM 2/24/2005, James Stauffer wrote:
I encountered a similar problem and my code was endlessly recursive.
In my instance:
Database pool code logged to log4j
logj sent errors to a customer Database Appender
The Database Apppender used the same Database pool code.
So if there was a connection problem it would be endlessly recursive.
Now l have log4j configured to never log anything in the Database code
to the Database.
--
James Stauffer
http://www.geocities.com/stauffer_james/