Frank,

What you suggest sounds quite wrong to me. In particular, org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFactory is deprecated [1] and should not be used. The fact that setting org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory gives positive results indicates that you may be using an old version of JCL as James suspected you were.

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/api/org/apache/commons/logging/impl/Log4jFactory.html