matt.accola wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

The scenario is that my customer has the 64-bit machine and I have only
32-bit systems for testing.  That's a problem because they will not allow me
to run our profiler on their environment :(  I cannot replicate in the
32-bit environment so I can't profile here.  I am currently deploying a
version of our application which includes 1.2.13 to see if that helps, but
the change control process takes about 1 week min to get a new app out. That's a lot of time to get feedback!

If you take a look at my test cases, I did isolate the file I/O.  One of the
tests writes 1000 statements to the servlet console, which I assume uses
STDOUT.  That is blazing fast.

Configuring the root logger to ERROR eliminates all the overhead so I am 99%
certain it is the actual I/O operation of writing with the
RollingLogFileAppender which is slow.  The way we discovered the problem was
by turning on logging for Hibernate to troubleshoot the issue and the
application server took forever to come up becuase it was busy writing all
those log statement to the disk.  (CPU utilization is not high, its just
slow)

The file is on a local system, not remote.  There is no J2EE security
enabled or anything.
[snip]
are you using the same pattern layout as well?
This may have impact, see http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/org/apache/log4j/PatternLayout.html, for example %C.

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com