If you interrupt the thread doing the logging, what else would you
expect to happen?

On 8/21/06, Patrick Wyss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
hi there,

i have problems with "InterruptedIOException"s that i get in my standalone
application.
i use log4j 1.2.9 on SunOS 5.8

when searching the archives i found the following message by ceki gülcü as
answer to a similar problem:
http://www.mail-archive.com/log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg06719.html

> Are you using Thread.interrupt to kill your threads?

well for me the answer is: YES, my application uses Thread.interrupt(). not to
kill my threads but to interrupt them. is that a problem for log4j?

the code doing these Thread.interrupt() was done by a programemr who left the
company and i personaly would implement the interrupting differently, but i do
not want to rewrite huge amounts of the old code and i don't see why calling
interrupt() should be a problem. it's not derecated like stop()/suspend()...

the exception i get:

log4j:ERROR Failed to flush writer,
java.io.InterruptedIOException
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.writeBytes(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder$CharsetSE.writeBytes(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder$CharsetSE.implFlushBuffer(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder$CharsetSE.implFlush(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.flush(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.OutputStreamWriter.flush(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.log4j.helpers.QuietWriter.flush(QuietWriter.java:49)
        at org.apache.log4j.WriterAppender.subAppend(WriterAppender.java:306)
        at
org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender.subAppend(RollingFileAppender.java:225)
        at org.apache.log4j.WriterAppender.append(WriterAppender.java:150)
        at org.apache.log4j.AppenderSkeleton.doAppend(AppenderSkeleton.java:221)
        at
org.apache.log4j.helpers.AppenderAttachableImpl.appendLoopOnAppenders(AppenderAttachableImpl.java:57)
        at org.apache.log4j.Category.callAppenders(Category.java:194)
        at org.apache.log4j.Category.forcedLog(Category.java:379)
        at org.apache.log4j.Category.debug(Category.java:248)
        at
moso.Transmission.TransmissionCarrier$AliveTimer.run(TransmissionCarrier.java:461)

best regards
patrick

James Stauffer        http://www.geocities.com/stauffer_james/