From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of chris
derham
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 4:14 PM
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: Filtering long log files and searching

I am trying to use chainsaw to view entries in a log file. I have it setup,
and working fine. The log file I have is large, so chainsaw is unable to
hold all the messages I want to see in its 5000 entry cyclic window. So I
would like to know how to set things up so I can view not just the last 5000
entries, but any set. Ideally I would like at 4pm to be able to see the 5000
messages after 9am.

I thought that the filterExpression looked the ideal candidate for this. I
have tried setting TIMESTAMP ~= '06', and this shows all entries. However if
I try any other literal (e.g. '2006' or  '08/06'), no rows are returned.

So the questions I have are

1) Is this the best (or at least a viable) way to achieve the desire3d
functionality?
2) What format should I specifiy the literal for the timestamp field? The
actual format in the log file, or the format defined via the timestampFormat
field?

Also could you add a search feature? e.g. you are showing 5000 entries, and
you know you want the one that has a message saying "calling server". I know
you can filter the entires to only show matching entries ( e.g. MSG ~=
'calling server'), but what about adding a simple search from current
position (or backwards for that matter) for a given string in a given column
(or all columns). That would be really useful.

Thanks for providing a great tool. It really helps. With the ability to
useful addition.

Chris