I'll bet they *do* get created.  You just don't know where to look.  What does
your config look like?  Does it use relative paths to the files?  Keep in mind,
relative paths are relative to the directory from which the JVM started.  So, if
you start on the command line, the path in the config file is relative to the
current directory in the command shell.

OTOH, When you start up using a service, unless you define the startup
directory, it will default to "C:\WINDOWS\system32" (or the equivalent on your
windows box).  Furthermore, if your path includes a directory name, such as
"./logs/mylog.log", and said directory doesn't exist already under
"C:\WINDOWS\system32", then Log4j won't bother creating it for you.  You have
to make sure it exists before Log4j can write to the location.

Look into that and let us know what you find.

Jake