Well, I've checked my Log config on the clients and found:
log4j.appender.tcp.LocationInfo=true

So, the SocketAppender sets the Locationinfo for Logging event before serializing. But until serializing the varibles become null because they are transparent...

May I misunderstood something?

Is it a conception not to send LocationInfo through the lan, or what?

Thanks:
 Bence

Takács Bence wrote:
Sorry, I've just read the source and it turned out that filename, methodname, classname and linenumber variables in the object LocationInfo are transparent. That mean that when they are being serialized they lost their values... And the SocketAppender serializes the Objects to send through tcp.

But why is it required? I would need theese variables on the server too (in addition I miss a static hostName field from the LocationInfo).

I don't understand the concept...

Or maybe i misunderstood something...

Regards:
  Bence

Takács Bence wrote:
Hello

I use a SocketServer to collect the logs to a server, then I store them into files. I use XmlLayout for formatting.

If I watch the files with Chainsaw, the Class, Method, Line, MDC fields are empty, even though the are in present on the clients console. I haven't find theese values in the XML file either. I don't think that the SocketAppender would be responsible for the vanishing, so I think that the XMLLayout mess up the datas somehow.

My question is: how can I config the SocketServer to make a file which consists theese values and is readable with Chainsaw? In general: How (with which pattern configuration) can I make files which consists theese values and is readable with Chainsaw?

Thanks:
  Bence