just out of curiosity, are you saying that:

- the memory is freed when you delete the logfiles (with "rm" or something)?
- is this some redhat/java combination thing? with my short test nothing like
this can be seen under winXP
  => can you check if RH/java always is caching files (by writing a file
yourself with java.io classes)

my test:

    int i = 0;
    while (true) {
      log.debug("test test " + i++);
    }
  }

log4j-config:

log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, TRACE
log4j.appender.TRACE=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.TRACE.File=test.log
log4j.appender.TRACE.MaxFileSize=100MB
log4j.appender.TRACE.MaxBackupIndex=10
log4j.appender.TRACE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.TRACE.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %C - %F %M (%L) [%t] %-5p %c -
%m%n

cheers
patrick