I wrote an appender that always uses the formatted name.
http://stauffer.james.googlepages.com/DateFormatFileAppender.java

On 3/23/07, Andrew Marlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
guys,

I am using DailyRollingFileAppender to have an AM and PM log for each
day. This isn't quite what I want but is close enough for now. What I
would really like is an appender that writes directly to the target
file, rather than it writing it to a different file and rolling that
file over at a certain time. It's the rolling over that I don't like. I
have had some weird problems where log4j sometimes complains that it
cannot do the rollover at startup.

Here is an example of how a logger worked that I was using before I
started using log4j.

The logfile name was of the form <prefix>yyyymmdd-w.txt where w is a
watch number. The day is divided into 6 watches of 4 hours each, i.e.
0000->0400, 0400->0800, 0800-1200, 1200->1600, 1600->2000 and
2000->2400. Each time a call is made to the logger it ensures that it is
writing to the correct logfile for the current watch. If the file exists
the record is appended, if the file does not exist it is created.

The advantage of this system is that you always know which logfile to
look at and you dont need to worry about rollover. Is there any chance
of log4j being able to offer this facility please?

Regards,

Andrew Marlow
----
There is an emerald here the size of a plover's egg!
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html
Plain text mails only, please      http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

******************************************************************************"
The data and information (collectively called Information) herein is the sole
property of ICAP.  The Information is confidential, may be legally privileged
and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is
addressed.  Unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution of the Information
is strictly prohibited and the recipient of the Information shall not
redistribute the Information in any form to a third party.  If you received
this Information in error please tell us by reply (or telephone the sender) and
delete all copies on your system.

References in this Information to ICAP are references to ICAP plc, a company
incorporated in England with registered number 3611426 whose registered office
is 2 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7UR and where the context requires, includes its
subsidiary and associated undertakings.  As applicable, certain companies
within the ICAP group are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services
Authority.  Any investment research sent from ICAP will provide an impartial
and objective assessment of the securities, companies or other matters that are
the subject of their research and our Conflicts of Interest Management Policy
regarding investment research can be viewed by requesting a copy from your
usual contact at ICAP.  Please visit www.icap.com for further regulatory
information including details regarding the European eCommerce Directive.

James Stauffer        http://www.geocities.com/stauffer_james/