Hi Tim,

The Logger class has a way of checking the level first.

First put this in your instance variables:

    private static final Logger logger = Logger.getLogger("my.package.MyClass");

    private final boolean debug = logger.isDebugEnabled();

Then put this in your method:

        if (this.debug)
        {
            logger.debug(new String("test"));
        }

Hope this helps.

Robert Pepersack
Senior Lead Developer
Maryland Insurance Administration
410-468-2054

>>> Tim Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 04/04/2008 3:02 PM >>>
Hi,

I am writing a Log Utility to check the log level first before creating a
string object. For example, if my log level is INFO, and I call:

log.debug(new String("test"));

It will still instantiate the String object even thought it doesn't log
anything.

So I would like to write an Utility to check the level first, if the log level
is lower, then I don't have to instantiate the object and just skip it.
Anybody knows what is the easy way to do that?

Thanks,