If anyone out there is using "Logging over the network" of any form (socket, JMS, Multicast, syslog appenders etc), this topic is for you. I'm wondering whether people could comment on their experience setting up high performance logging of application data over the network. The cost of shipping an event over the wire compared with writing it to a local file is obviously higher, and so one can notice user-visible impact if the logging volume is high when using network-based logging (unless one wraps it in AsyncAppenders).

Just curious to hear peoples experiences, strategies, and thoughts. Perhaps people can relate to the flow rate they've manage to achieve under different configurations.

The driver to my question is that for my Apache Lab project (Pinpoint) I'm building a central logging repository server to allow data mining of the generated logging events. In a high performance site one can have many logging events shipped from multiple threads in, say, a web- app, being shipped serially over the wire, so slowing down the logging can slow down the response time.

cheers,

Paul Smith