> If anyone out there is using "Logging over the network" of any form
> (socket, JMS, Multicast, syslog appenders etc), this topic is for you.
> I'm wondering whether people could comment on their experience setting
> up high performance logging of application data over the network.

For convenience I routinely configure SocketHubAppender instances for all my
services and typically set a threshold of WARN to reduce traffic to important
info.

Where performance is deemed more important than the timely delivery of the
information I have custom asynchronous appenders with limited BlockingDeque
queues and daemon threads to pump out data at their leisure.

Where I have multiple services logging across the network to a central place I
tend to use a custom JDBC asynchronous appender.

In other scenarios I have networked systems that require certain log messages
as part of a larger communications protocol. Here I have custom appenders that
catch LoggingEvent messages, translate them and drop them in the outgoing
BlockingDeque for the target system (I always work with queues on complex
systems to encourage loose coupling).

I don't tend to pass Java objects over the wire: call me a traditionalist but
when I write my protocols they tend to be human-readable 7-bit ASCII where you
can telnet to a server, issue commands and get replies. This is great for unit
testing, troubleshooting, etc. More recently I've been writing systems that
interoperate with 3rd party systems where XML is passed over the wire (so
performance is not of major importance :) ) and here I tend to make Apache
XMLBeans and StAX parsers do all the work but internally I'll drop down to a
human readable (and loggable!) protocol for testing and faster interfacing.

I have a strong belief that any non-trivial networked communications system can
be generalised to IRC!

Just my 2 euros :)

Regards,
Michael Erskine.