I believe with JDK5 you can use jconsole, which is very similar to VisualVM and
has most of the same sort of features. Perhaps that will help in the future.

From: Arica [xun...@263.net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:39 PM
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: Re: High CPU usage impact to log4j

Hi, Andersen

Thanks for your suggestions.

The Visual VM is quite powerful tool, but introduced from JDK6. My issue was
happened at JDK5:(
Besides, before add some algorithm to dump the JVM snapshot, I need to
understand what's the root cause to result in the abnormal behavior of
log4j. The most frustrating thing is that I cannot reproduce the issue with
100% (log4j and kill -3 signal cannot be handled by JVM) :(

Anyway, thank you again.