Hi Heri:
Reviewing this XML , I saw the root logger has the same appender-ref
ref="CATALOGER_FILE_APPENDER" .
So this should have the same impact?
Below I copied the all XML which I reviewing.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/";>

    <appender name="CATALOGER_FILE_APPENDER"
class="org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender">
        <param name="File"
value="C:/apps/segurcaixa/expvirtual/workspace/scev-fs/logs/scev-cataloger.log"
/>
        <param name="Append" value="true" />
            <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d %-5p - %m%n"/>
        </layout>
    </appender>

    <appender name="CONSOLE_APPENDER"
class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
        <param name="Target" value="System.Out"/>
            <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d %-5p - %m%n"/>
        </layout>
    </appender>

    <category name="es.indra" additivity="false">
        <level value="DEBUG"/>
        <appender-ref ref="CATALOGER_FILE_APPENDER"/>
    </category>

    <category name="es.indra.segurcaixa.expedientevirtual.event.cataloger"
additivity="false">
        <priority value="WARN"/>
        <appender-ref ref="CATALOGER_FILE_APPENDER"/>
    </category>

    <root>
        <level value="WARN" />
        <appender-ref ref="CATALOGER_FILE_APPENDER"/>
    </root>

</log4j:configuration>

Saludos
Marco Silva