As it should be. They are very much subject to the internal workings of Log4j
core and have nothing to do with the end user API.

FWIW - here is the code you need.

org.apache.log4j.coreLoggerContext ctx = (org.apache.log4j.core.LoggerContext)
LogManager.getContext(false);
Configuration config = ctx.getConfiguration();
ListAppender listApp;
for (final Map.Entry<String, Appender> entry :
config.getAppenders().entrySet()) {
        if (entry.getKey().equals("List")) {
                listApp = (ListAppender) entry.getValue();
        }
}