There is no current support for the previous format, but the docs do give
examples on how to convert to the new format:

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/migration.html

Patches are always welcome to add support for the old config format, but
it's non-trivial. The new formats are very similar to the old, so it's
probably not too hard. I bet an XSLT could be made to convert the XML
format automatically for most use-cases.

--
Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>