Was there a discussion at the outset of 2.X as to abandon support for the
pre-existing ( if laboriously heavy ) configuration files as they stood ?

A cost / benefit analysis ? It was obviously considered a blocking point to
design backwards compatibility modules for the re-factored codeline moving
under org.apache.logging.log4j

I imagine anywhere where detail has been omitted in the new versions I can
skip provided data in my Parser ( which at this point would be more a
Transformer as you mentioned its other requirements )

Additionally I expect it wouldn't be an insurmountable challenge to provide
sane defaults where details are lacking from the config files I'd be
reading.