I had seen that, yes; I'm not sure it will help.

What I really want to do is trigger (programmatically) a purge of old files
(because I've added a DefaultRolloverStrategy with the max files set),

AFAICT the <delete> action will let me programmatically control which files
are deleted (e.g. files older than some value set at runtime), but only
during the rollover - so it may be some time before that happens (if at
all, if the process is restarted frequently enough that the max size is
never reached).

The background to this is that we have a WAR file that is deployed to a
number of different sites. The number of files we want to keep on each site
can differ so rather than edit the XML file on each site each time we
deploy a new version, there's a site specific configuration (with a
pre-configured default) that is programatically applied. Perhaps there's a
better way to do that.

Greg

PS. I can't see any documentation on supported values for the "language"
attribute; is it just JavaScript and Groovy as per the docs, or are there
others?
PPS. Why is JavaScript capitalised, but not groovy?