I don't believe there is an API in ConfigurationBuilder that uses actual
plugin objects. That would certainly be a new feature. However, you did
mention combining configuration files which is already implemented through
composite configuration:
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/configuration.html#CompositeConfiguration