Here is what Log4j does:

If the property is specified first see if it contains any commas, if so then
there will be multiple configuration files, which essentially does what follows
for each file. If not then try to convert it to a URI using the following code:

public static URI toURI(final String path) {
    try {
        // Resolves absolute URI
        return new URI(path);
    } catch (final URISyntaxException e) {
        // A file path or a Apache Commons VFS URL might contain blanks.
        // A file path may start with a driver letter
        try {
            final URL url = new URL(path);
            return new URI(url.getProtocol(), url.getHost(), url.getPath(),
null);
        } catch (MalformedURLException | URISyntaxException nestedEx) {
            return new File(path).toURI();
        }
    }
}

The URI is then converted to a ConfigurationSource using:
public static ConfigurationSource fromUri(final URI configLocation) {
    final File configFile = FileUtils.fileFromUri(configLocation);
    if (configFile != null && configFile.exists() && configFile.canRead()) {
        try {
            return new ConfigurationSource(new FileInputStream(configFile),
configFile);
        } catch (final FileNotFoundException ex) {
            ConfigurationFactory.LOGGER.error("Cannot locate file {}",
configLocation.getPath(), ex);
        }
    }
    if (ConfigurationFactory.isClassLoaderUri(configLocation)) {
        final ClassLoader loader = LoaderUtil.getThreadContextClassLoader();
        final String path =
ConfigurationFactory.extractClassLoaderUriPath(configLocation);
        final ConfigurationSource source = fromResource(path, loader);
        if (source != null) {
            return source;
        }
    }
    if (!configLocation.isAbsolute()) { // LOG4J2-704 avoid confusing error
message thrown by uri.toURL()
        ConfigurationFactory.LOGGER.error("File not found in file system or
classpath: {}", configLocation.toString());
        return null;
    }
    try {
        return new ConfigurationSource(configLocation.toURL().openStream(),
configLocation.toURL());
    } catch (final MalformedURLException ex) {
        ConfigurationFactory.LOGGER.error("Invalid URL {}",
configLocation.toString(), ex);
    } catch (final Exception ex) {
        ConfigurationFactory.LOGGER.error("Unable to access {}",
configLocation.toString(), ex);
    }
    return null;
}
I should point out that the stack trace log you are seeing is from the above
code failing. If any of the above doesn’t work we then try to create a
ConfigurationSource using the following code where config is the value of the
property and loader is the ThreadContextClassLoader. So even with the error
that is shown it is still possible that the file might be found.

protected ConfigurationSource getInputFromString(final String config, final
ClassLoader loader) {
    try {
        final URL url = new URL(config);
        return new ConfigurationSource(url.openStream(),
FileUtils.fileFromUri(url.toURI()));
    } catch (final Exception ex) {
        final ConfigurationSource source =
ConfigurationSource.fromResource(config, loader);
        if (source == null) {
            try {
                final File file = new File(config);
                return new ConfigurationSource(new FileInputStream(file), file);
            } catch (final FileNotFoundException fnfe) {
                // Ignore the exception
                LOGGER.catching(Level.DEBUG, fnfe);
            }
        }
        return source;
    }
}
ConfigurationSource.fromResource() tries to locate the resource using
ClassLoader.getResource() and then constructs a ConfgurationSource if it can
find it. And if all else fails we just pass the string to the File constructor
and hope for the best.
As you can see we aren’t really manipulating the input string that was provided
to us, but we are trying any way we can to convert it into some sort of file we
can access. If you see something missing in this logic please let us know.

Ralph