If you have multiple threads that log quite a lot, async logging can make a
big difference.
If you don't log much, or if the logging is mostly happening on a single
thread, I'd suggest sticking with synchronous logging for its simplicity.

Have you thought of any way to measure the performance difference between
synchronous and async logging for your application? (If you cannot tell the
difference, then what's the point?) :-)

If you decide it is worth it, you can switch by changing Root to AsyncRoot
and Logger to AsyncLogger in your configuration.