All devs,

It was not my intention to change the strong name key for the 1.2.10
release. Due to some misadventure the key has changed between version
1.2.9 and 1.2.10. This has the undesirable effect of preventing binding
redirects between these version working.

I am still investigating where my key management procedures broke down.
But I think that it is now essential for log4net to examine our policy
towards strong naming, especially as this is supposed to be an open
source project. Does the private key form an integral part of the
'source'? It is not required to build an identically functional
assembly, but it is required to build an identical binary replacement
assembly.

Our current policy is to hold the strong name signing key privately.
This is the de facto policy carried over from pre Apache days, it has
not been official discussed in our time here apache.

Essentially the strong name key forms part of the assembly identity. The
private key is not required to build functionally identical (or
derivate) versions of the log4net assembly. However it is required to
build assemblies with the same identity, i.e. that can be a binary drop
in replacement.

By releasing the strong name private key we will allow members of the
community to build their own versions of the log4net assembly
(regardless of functional changes) which can be used to replace the
log4net assembly shipped with other 3rd party applications. One of the
_features_ of the strong name identity (from the application's point of
view) is that it prevents an assembly being replaced without the
application knowing. If an application is using strong name binding to
load its assemblies then it is sure of the provenance of those
assemblies. If we release the private key then this is no longer the
case (with regard to the log4net assembly), any 3rd party can create an
assembly (which may or may not contain malicious code) that can be used
to substitute for the log4net assembly.

We need to decide if the strong name private key should remain private
or if we should release it under the terms of the Apache licence.

Regards,
Nicko