On Feb 19, 2008 12:29 AM, Liam Dalton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I believe that the lojban number system in lojban has a cmavo for imaginary
> number: perhaps by implementing it (ka'o) into the lujvo, it would be less
> ambiguous, because relcimdyna'u also could imply a square measure (i.e.,
> square meter, square light-year, ect.)
>
> Maybe ka'orelcimdyna'u, or is that too unweildly? I mean, I can see a math
> professor saying, "...poi ka'orelcim...ka'orel...oiro'a"
>
> Perhaps I am forgetting a precept against jamming cmavo into lujvo. Am I?

  You can't just put a cmavo in front of a word, and expect it to be a
part of a word.  For starters, it  "falls off".  "ka'orelcimdyna'u" is
parsed as "ka'o relcimdyna'u", the sumti "an imaginary amount of
complex numbers".   Secondly, remember that cmavo and rafsi partially
overlap in morphology. Or too put it bluntly, "ka'o" is not only a
cmavo for "i", but also the rafsi for "kanro".  So you couldn't just
put it in the word as ka'onrelcimdyna'u either (a healthy complex
number?).  If you WANTED to add cmavo to a lujvo, you have to do it
with the aid of "zei" ("lujvo glue") in between.

             --gejyspa