On Tuesday 16 June 2009 09:30:24 tijlan wrote:
> In LFB 12, the r-hyphen in "cidjrkari" is claimed to be "a syllable on
> its own, and the word should sound something like shidgerrrrrkari".
> But, according to CLL, "l/m/n/r" can be either syllabic or
> non-syllabic. Isn't LFB's description a bit misleading?

I can't say "cidjrkari" without making the "r" syllabic. Maybe a Kartuli
could. On the other hand, "paxrmari" (bain-marie, double boiler) I say in
three syllables "paxr,ma,ri", because I pronounce the "xr" simultaneously
(but not "rx"). "spatrxapio" (celery) I pronounce in three
syllables "spatr,xa,pio"; all of my first three languages have a "tr" blend,
though they're different because the r's are different (I use the Spanish
one, though in Spanish it doesn't occur at the end of a syllable).

Pierre